Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Arbeit Does Not Make You Frei

I like to keep Mr. Bunndini's blog light hearted and pithy because there are enough bad vibes in the world already but I've been working on a project for the past few days which has made me very reflective. I have been scanning my grandmother's photo albums for a family blog and among the shots of scenic picnics in the alps was this little gem:


My grandmother Hedi and great grandfather Bruno Valentin in the summer of 1935 on an autumn bike ride in Hannover Germany. Jews standing in front of a nazi flag. Doesn't get much more eerie.

3 comments:

  1. You may not believe this but I can see the family resemblance. Also, how fortunate that the pictures survived the holocaust... also yes, it is deeply eerie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look like my great grandfather but sadly did not inherit his jaunty sense of fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's the blog address if you want to look at a whole lotta black and white photos of my crazy family pre WW2. http://www.mygrandmotherhedi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete